SATRAD-G3 looks and feels just like a standard LMR system, utilizing a simple PTT handset. In action, sophisticated routing functionality automatically switches between the available networks, dynamically selecting the most suitable one based on cost, quality and availability at any time. This all happens without user intervention, meaning they can get on and do their job, just like they have always done.
SATRAD Communication Evolved
The SATRAD G3 is an IP-based Push-To-Talk (PTT) radio communications system that supports Satellite/LTE/3G/LAN back-haul and Land Mobile Radio (LMR) integration to provide seamless voice communication in any situation. It is the next generation SATRAD solution utilizing the power of the Ligado Networks (former LightSquared) SkyTerra-1 satellite and ViaSat’s IP-based L-band Mobile Satellite Services network.
The collaboration between Network Innovations, Cobham, Ligado Networks and ViaSat brings to market the next- generation features that expand upon the legacy of SATRAD- G2 while retaining the platform’s popular flat-rate service plans.
The SATRAD G3 platform will allow for a broad range of new data-rich applications secured by AES-256 encryption connected to a ruggedized EXPLORER PTT terminal that supports Satellite/3G/LTE/LAN backhaul and Land Mobile Radio integration to provide seamless handover of voice calls.
SATRAD-G3 looks and feels just like a standard LMR system, utilizing a simple PTT handset. It’s just as easy to install as a standard system too. Uniquely, up to two USB cellular modems (optional) can be connected to the PTT terminal allowing for two independent cellular network connections.
In action, sophisticated routing functionality automatically switches between the available networks, dynamically selecting the most suitable one based on cost, quality and availability at any time. This all happens without user intervention, meaning they can get on and do their job, just like they have always done.
The SATRAD-G3 solution solves many challenges faced by traditional LMR system operators:
- Coverage area is extended by combining satellite links and the existing cellular based networks.
- Least cost routing, automatic switching of PTT calls between satellite and cellular connectivity.
- Terrestrial infrastructure costs are reduced, allowing for a higher return on investment.
- Users benefit from constant communications availability when on the move.
- Scalable from two to thousands of units.
- Compatibility with many different brands of land mobile radios
Network Innovations’ SATRAD solution includes Talk Group access where critical, interdependent communications can be shared privately and reliably. For national and regional homeland, emergency, and first responder agencies, SMART Talk Group access is available through Ligado.
The SATRAD-G3 solution meets the needs of:
- Emergency first responders and law enforcement agencies during emergencies and in disaster recovery situations.
- Mobile workers who require voice connectivity outside terrestrial network coverage for safety purposes and efficiency of operation.
The SATRAD-G3 solution will be able to interoperate with the legacy SATRAD G2 hardware. The new SATRAD G3 hardware will be able to work in the same user Talk Groups provided by Network Innovations as SATRAD-G2 terminals. This feature and the completed server infrastructure will be ready later in 2017.
Beyond Line-Of-Sight Push-To-Talk Communication
The SATRAD-G3 utilizes the power of the Ligado SkyTerra-1 satellite, combined with ViaSat’s Managed Network Services, and Cobham’s industry leading Push- To-Talk technologies.
The solution is based on the new EXPLORER 122 L-Band satellite terminal combined with the advanced EXPLORER PTT system from Cobham SATCOM.
- A ruggedized and easy to use digital Push-To-Talk communication solution.
- Designed to cost effectively expand and augment LMR systems.
- Built-in support for LMR devices to ensure over-the-horizon radiocommunication.
- Voice-over-IP technologies optimized for use under difficult satelliteor terrestrial link conditions.
- Automatic PTT voice, least cost routing between cellular(LTE/3G/2G) and the SkyTerra-1 satellite network.
Integrated seamlessly, these proven Cobham technologies create an advanced, highly reliable, and easy-to-use hardware platform that enables emergency services in North America to communicate effectively.
EXPLORER 122 L-Band Satellite Terminal
EXPLORER 122 is the first EXPLORER terminal developed to operate over the Ligado SkyTerra-1 satellite network. It is a compact Comms-On-The-Move terminal offering reliable real-time IP data and PTT voice connectivity with tracking capability.
The lightweight one-piece design has no moving parts and a high IP-66 rating, making it robust and durable. Whether you’re engaged in emergency response, humanitarian operations, fleet management or transportation, EXPLORER 122 is an easy deployable communication system you can always rely on. Simply place the antenna on the roof of your vehicle and get access to the Internet.
Ligado Networks provides ubiquitous coverage throughout North America over one of the most powerful L-band commercial satellites ever built. The high-powered SkyTerra-1 satellite enables transmissions to small fixed and mobile devices by using an antenna with 22-meter reflector—the largest satellite reflector to be put into service on a commercial satellite, bringing higher data throughputs to smaller devices.
EXPLORER 122 System Features
- Integrated Transceiver and Antenna
- Roof mountable with optional magnetic mounts
- Lightweight and small: >4lbs (1.8Kg) and 9.8″(241mm)x5.9″(150mm)x2.4″(61mm) (LxWxH)
- 10-30VDC power input suited vehicle installs
- Works at speeds up to 125 miles per hour
- Modem is capable of up to 1 Mbps download and 10 Kbps upload
- IP-66 rating – dust and spray proof in all directions
- Ethernet via multi-pin connector
- Wireless connectivity with 802.11 B/G or Bluetooth 3.0